Sunday, October 20, 2013

Neptune Day!!!

I still owe you the posts about my time in Ghana, but those will come in a few days once I finish midterms (promise!).
Today was Neptune Day!!! For anyone who doesn't know, this is a huge SAS tradition on the day we cross the Equator.
At 7:45 am we were all woken up by the crew blowing whistles and banging pots and pans in the hallways. We went to the 7th deck and watched King Neptune (Captain Jeremy painted green) and Queen Minerva (a fabulous Dean Eddie) take their places. After that the ceremony begins: you are dowsed with a liquid they call fish guts (green water that didn't smell great), jump into the pool to wash it off, kiss a real fish on the mouth, then kiss Neptune's ring. After that you officially become a Shellback! I know it sounds weird, but everyone gets into it so it's really fun. It's definitely all optional, but pretty much everyone does it.






Many people also choose to shave their heads! My friend Amy chose to do it and I got to cut off the first piece!! I could never cut all my hair off, but I definitely admire their courage.

we braided her hair....

then cut off the braids....













then the razor came out and there was nothing left...!














It's days like these that I realize that apart from all the countries we visit, Semester at Sea is just an incredible experience in itself. Honestly where else would a group of people do stuff like this??

No comments:

Post a Comment